Cyclop Upgrade - IR Light

Events, Organisation, Equipment, New Members enquiries, etc.
Veers57

Cyclop Upgrade - IR Light

Post by Veers57 » 10 Feb 2016, 03:30

Was able to acquire two Cyclops with decent lenses. Overall, a decent rugged night vision monocular, but limited in ultra dark locations.

Decided to epoxy a Magpul MOE L2 rail to one side of each monocular. Then add a 1in flashlight mount, with an IR flashlight.

All together, this upgrade cost me about $25 per monocular.

My plan is to hand receipt a monocular to my parents for use on their farm and I'll use the other for basic night use or let my wife use it.

This upgrade mod allows me to see in dark rooms better with minimal red glow from the IR flashlight.

Here's a link to the flashlight on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016OD ... ge_o01_s00

net_split
Admin & Support

Re: Cyclop Upgrade - IR Light

Post by net_split » 10 Feb 2016, 21:15

If you want to eliminate that remaining red glow, you can take an old floppy disk and put it as a filter in-between.

What lenses exactly are you using by the way? Did they come with the Cyclops?

Veers57

Re: Cyclop Upgrade - IR Light

Post by Veers57 » 12 Feb 2016, 01:01

I'm using M42 55mm 1:1.7 Chinon lenses.

One Cyclop came with a lens. The other didn't so I hunted around on eBay for one similar since I had decent luck with the other one. I was able to get the lens for about $25. Didn't want to spend too much since these monoculars are being used primarily for basic night vision use, such as scanning, pictures, and star gazing.

All told, I have about $100 with lens, IR light, and Cylcop tube for each monocular. Not bad for a budget setup.